Kildalton Cross
Back to the map

Kildalton Cross

Historic SitePhotography
Get Directions

Every scene on this cross — the Virgin and Child, Cain and Abel, Abraham and Isaac — was cut by hand into solid stone some 1,200 years ago, and you can still read every line of it, close enough to touch.

Parking
Small car park at Kildalton
Access
Grass and some uneven ground
Toilets
Nothing on site. Ardbeg Distillery's Old Kiln Café
Hours
Open access at all times
Best time
Early or late in the day, when low sun catches the carving side-on and throws the relief into sharp shadow - the graveyard sits open to the sky, so full midday sun flattens the detail.

Push open the gate into Kildalton's old graveyard and the cross is the first thing you see — grey-green stone rising nine feet from the grass, its ringed head catching whatever light the day offers. Walk round to the east face and the carving comes into focus: the Virgin and Child at the centre, serpents and bosses coiling below, scenes of Cain and Abel and Abraham and Isaac worked into stone by hands twelve centuries gone. Older, plainer graves scatter the ground between the cross and the roofless chapel walls a few paces off — one of the most complete Celtic high crosses left standing anywhere in western Europe, and still very much part of a working graveyard rather than a monument roped off for display.

Good to Know
  • One of the finest Celtic crosses in Scotland
  • Carved in the 8th century, still in its original location
  • Set in a roofless medieval chapel and graveyard
  • A quietly spectacular, rarely crowded site
History

Kildalton Cross was carved from a single block of local chlorite schist in the second half of the 8th century. The Virgin and Child carved into its cross-head closely echoes the same scene on St Martin's Cross and St Oran's Cross at Iona Abbey, a few miles across the water — Historic Environment Scotland and Canmore both describe the cross as having a close connection with Iona as a result.

Unlike almost every other cross of its age in Scotland, Kildalton has never been moved, toppled, or broken up for building stone — it has stood on this exact spot, in the open air, for around 1,200 years. A cup-marked stone at its base — a hollow about six inches across and six deep — was broken off and taken away sometime between 1900 and 1910; what became of it afterwards isn't recorded. The roofless chapel beside the cross was built later, in the late 12th or early 13th century, and served the parish until it fell out of use around 1700. More recently, a flight of stone steps was built around its base to stabilise it — the only significant intervention in the cross's long history.

Kildalton Cross photo relating to its history
Gallery