Dunyveg Castle
Back to the map

Dunyveg Castle

Historic SitePhotographyAdventure / Exploring
Get Directions

For three centuries the Lords of the Isles and their MacDonald successors held this headland by force, lost it, and fought to take it back, until Crown-backed cannon battered it into a wreck over three days in February 1615. What's left today — a broken tower, a run of curtain wall, a sea-gate once wide enough for war-galleys — stands on the headland across the bay, an easy five-minute walk from [Lagavulin](/distilleries/lagavulin) distillery's car park, open and free any time you like.

Parking
Use Lagavulin Distillery's visitor car park
Access
Reached via a coastal path with uneven, rocky ground
Toilets
Nothing on site. Toilets and refreshments are at Lagavulin Distillery
Hours
Open access at all times
Best time
Any time — it's an unstaffed, open-access ruin.

Ruined 13th-century castle on Lagavulin Bay — once the naval stronghold of the Lords of the Isles and Clan MacDonald, guarding their fleet of galleys.

Good to Know
  • Ruined 13th-century naval stronghold
  • Once guarded the galley fleet of the Lords of the Isles
  • Dramatic setting on Lagavulin Bay
  • Right beside Lagavulin Distillery
History

The castle passed down through the Lords of the Isles to a cadet branch, the MacDonalds of Dunivaig and the Glens, who held it until the Lordship of the Isles was broken up and the castle forfeited in 1494. More than a century of contested ownership followed — MacIans, Campbells, and the Crown itself all held it at different points — building to the conflict of 1614–15 that ended MacDonald control of Islay for good. Ranald Og MacDonald seized the castle in a surprise raid in April 1614; a bishop's expedition failed to retake it that September; and on 1 February 1615, Sir Oliver Lambert's cannon, brought in on Sir John Campbell of Cawdor's orders, spent three days doing what a contemporary account called "three dayes batterye… powerful to ruyne the whole howse." Sir James MacDonald recaptured the wrecked castle that June, before it was finally ceded to the Earl of Argyll in October. It served as a Campbell residence for decades afterwards, resisting a Covenanter siege under General David Leslie in 1647 before the Royalist garrison surrendered on favourable terms, and was finally abandoned in 1677 when Sir Hugh Campbell relocated to Islay House. Archaeological digs between 2017 and 2021 turned up real evidence of that history: a lead seal stamp bearing the name of Sir John Campbell of Cawdor, dated 1593, along with a coin from the reign of James VI and evidence the courtyard buildings had been destroyed by fire. Dunyvaig has been a scheduled monument since 1989, and remains in the ownership of the Lagavulin distillery estate today.

Dunyveg Castle photo relating to its history
Gallery
!

Coastal erosion has damaged parts of the ruin, especially on the seaward side — keep back from crumbling wall edges and take care on wet rock near the old sea-gate at the shoreline.