The only way onto the whisky trail's most remote stop is by two ferries and a single-track road — and the reward is a dram that tastes nothing like the peat-heavy Islay malts you crossed the water to get away from.
Tours are currently unavailable at Jura Distillery (confirmed on the distillery's own website, July 2026). The shop and visitor centre remain open as normal during opening hours; check jurawhisky.com or call 01496 820 385 for updates on when tours resume.
Jura's only distillery — remote, tall-stilled, and quietly unlike anywhere else on the whisky trail.
The Isle of Jura distillery sits right on the water's edge in Craighouse, the island's only village — one road in, one road out, with the Paps of Jura rising behind it. Getting here is part of the story: a ferry to Islay, then a short crossing from Port Askaig to Feolin, then a drive along Jura's single road to the village.
It's the kind of place that makes you understand the whisky before you've tasted it — remote, quiet, and entirely on its own terms.
Jura is the contrarian's answer to Islay whisky right across the water — light, fruity, and only gently smoked rather than built around peat. That comes down to a deliberate choice of exceptionally tall stills, among the tallest in Scotland when they were built, which strip back weight and let a cleaner, more Highland-style spirit through. The current core range — 10, 12, 14 and 18 Year Old, plus Seven Wood — leans into that approachable, fruit-forward style, matured mainly in American oak ex-bourbon casks. The outlier is Prophecy, Jura's one genuinely peated expression, named for a local legend about a Campbell laird and a curse — proof the distillery can do smoke when it wants to, it just chooses fruit and balance instead.
The first legal distillery on Jura was founded in 1810 by Archibald Campbell, Laird of Jura, originally called the Small Isles Distillery. It changed hands repeatedly over the following decades — leased to Norman Buchanan in 1853, taken over by J&K Orr after Buchanan went bankrupt in 1867, then licensed to James Ferguson & Sons in 1876 — before closing and being stripped bare around 1901.
The site lay silent for over sixty years until two local estate owners, Robin Fletcher and Tony Riley-Smith, set out to rebuild it in the early 1960s — driven less by whisky ambition than by a need to create jobs and stop the island's population from shrinking further. With backing from blender Charles Mackinlay & Co. and design work from William Delmé-Evans, the rebuilt distillery went in an unexpected direction: unusually tall stills, built to move the spirit away from Islay's peated style entirely. The first spirit in over six decades flowed in 1963; the stills were doubled from two to four in 1978.
Ownership passed to Invergordon Distillers in 1985, then to Whyte & Mackay in 1993 when it acquired Invergordon. Whyte & Mackay itself has been owned by the Philippines-based Emperador Inc. since 2014. Through all of it, the distillery has remained central to a very small island community — Jura has fewer than 200 residents today.